Prime Minister David Cameron apologises to Fathers4Justice over allegations group ‘climbed’ on his roof
Prime Minister David Cameron today apologised to Fathers4Justice in the Evening Standard for wrongly accusing them of climbing on the roof of his Oxfordshire home. The Prime Minister had levelled the charge against the pressure group in an interview with the paper last week.
In a statement tonight, David Cameron said, “I’m sorry for any offence to them that may have been caused by what was a light-hearted remark.”
Fathers4Justice had sent a letter before action to Mr Cameron on 18th March asking him to publicly retract his comments. The group also say a member of the House of Lords raised the matter of the allegations in a meeting with them on Tuesday 24th March, and the group emailed MPs and Members of the House of Lords to address the allegations today.
Founder of Fathers4Justice, Matt O’Connor, tonight said, “We are taking legal advice on Mr Cameron’s response to see if it fully mitigates the harm done by these allegations. Fathers4Justice has been subject to a number of false allegations by Conservative MPs which we are also addressing.”
“F4J has been subject to false allegations on several occasions in the past including allegations the group plotted to kidnap the then Prime Minister’s son, Leo Blair in 2006, and of making death threats against Dame Elizabeth Butler-Sloss in 2013. We take all allegations seriously, and where these are falsely made, will ask that these allegations are withdrawn.”
Dame Elizabeth publicly apologised for making those allegations in a statement in the House of Lords here:
In a wide ranging interview, the founder of Fathers4Justice, Matt O’Connor, talks about his 14-year campaign for shared parenting, political corruption, broken Conservative Party promises, secret family courts and the plight of Britain’s fathers with Mike West from Bastion Radio @bastionradio bastionradio.com
Fathers4Justice founder Matt O’Connor responds to attacks on @F4JOfficial by @carolinenokes & the British media
Fathers4Justice founder Matt O’Connor responds to attacks on @F4JOfficial by @carolinenokes & the British media #FathersRights #FamilyLaw
The advert which was due to run today (14th February 2014, see below), contained a Valentine’s Day message to his daughters Katie and Scarlett from Doncaster. The refusal came despite the fact that the papers concerned had already covered Tim’s trial and previous court hearings in detail.
Said F4J Campaign Director Nadine O’Connor, “We offered several design options to the newspapers this week through our media agency, but late on Thursday evening the final ad was rejected by The Independent BEFORE they had even seen the advert. This was after the Times had ACCEPTED the ad and then rejected it hours later.”
“We are obviously disappointed that our adverts were rejected and that all the newspapers had coincidentally adopted the same position. There was no legal reason why our final adjusted ad could not have been run. No doubt people will draw their own conclusions as to why this has happened.”
REFUSED BY THE TELEGRAPH
The Telegraph told our media agency, “To protect the girls they want their faces pixilated, and also their names removing. Also they want Tim’s surname to be removed.”
REFUSED BY THE TIMES
Date: 13 February 2014 17:45:35 GMT
Subject: Father 4 Justice Ad
First of all please apologise for the late withdrawal of the ad to the buying agency. While editorial had no editorial reason why this should not run the Times legal team have refused it based on the below points…
# News UK do not know the back-story to this case as to whether what is being claimed is true.
# Privacy issues in-relation to naming and using photos of hid daughters
# Breach of reporting restrictions which apply in the family courts
The next steps would be to either provide the above to gain access or for the creative to submit through the ASA for approval.
Any questions let me know.
REFUSED BY THE INDENDENT
The Independent newspaper claim advert ‘could cause’ emotional harm to his children.
Sent: 12 February 2014 10:58
Subject: RE: Fathers4Justice Ad
Seemingly he can’t use his image or the kids (we assume he doesn’t have his ex’s approval)
So we could run the letter, but he’d have to drop their names, and he’d have to drop the political bit.
Eventually it was shown to Amol the actual editor, and his issue is that its ‘could cause’ emotional harm to the kids.
The rationale being that either the kids or one of their friends could easily see the picture of their dad in the paper, which may create questions, and then the emotional harm.
Let me know
BBC News: Campaigner Tim Haries guilty of defacing Queen portrait. A Fathers4Justice campaigner has been found guilty of defacing a portrait of the Queen while it was on display in Westminster Abbey. Tim Haries, 42, of Bellis Avenue, Doncaster, told jurors he vandalised the picture to highlight the “social justice issue of our time”.
Daily Mirror: Fathers4Justice campaigner Tim Haries found guilty of spray-painting ‘help’ on Queen’s portrait. Dad-of-two Tim Haries claimed that he had defaced the painting to highlight ‘the social injustice of our time’.
Daily Telegraph: Man guilty of defacing portrait of Queen with purple paint at Westminster Abbey. Fathers4Justice campaigner Tim Haries told jurors he vandalised the picture to highlight the ”social justice issue of our time”
ITV News: Campaigner: ‘My actions a direct appeal to the Queen’ A Fathers4Justice campaigner who has been found guilty of defacing a portrait of the Queen said his actions were “a direct appeal to the Queen.”
The Guardian: Fathers4Justice campaigner found guilty of defacing Queen’s portrait
The Independent: Fathers4Justice campaigner Tim Haries found guilty of defacing Queen portrait
Daily Mail: Fathers4Justice campaigner found guilty of defacing Queen portrait with purple paint while it was hanging in Westminster Abbey
Daily Star: Fathers 4 Justice campaigner found guilty of defacing portrait of the Queen. A FATHERS 4 Justice campaigner has been found guilty of defacing a portrait of the Queen with purple paint.
Sky News Australia: UK man guilty of defacing Queen portrait
A man has been found guilty of defacing an Australian artist’s portrait of the Queen with purple paint while it was hanging in Westminster Abbey. Tim Haries, a Fathers4Justice campaigner, told jurors he vandalised the STG160,000 ($A296,000) oil painting to highlight the ‘social justice issue of our time’.
MSN News: Man guilty of defacing portrait. A Fathers4Justice campaigner has been found guilty of defacing a portrait of the Queen with purple paint while it was hanging in Westminster Abbey.
The Australian: Man guilty of defacing Queen portrait. Tim Haries, a Fathers4Justice campaigner, told jurors he vandalised the $A296,000 oil painting to highlight the “social justice issue of our time”.
Sydney Morning Herald: Protester Tim Haries convicted of spray painting Ralph Heimans’ portrait of the Queen
BBC News: Fathers4Justice campaigner ‘sprayed help’ on Queen portrait, court hears.
A Fathers4Justice campaigner who attacked a portrait of the Queen in Westminster Abbey appeared to spray the word “help”, a court has heard.
The Daily Mail: Fathers4justice campaigner dressed in Superman belt ‘smeared the word “help” on £160,000 portrait of the Queen in Westminster Abbey’
Doncaster man defaced Queen’s portrait at Westminster Abbey, court told
Doncaster dad sprayed ‘help’ on Queen’s portrait in Westminster Abbey
Fathers4Justice Campaigner on Trial
Fathers4Justice has asked that they could specifically give oral testimony direct to the committee, not make more written submissions, submissions that have easily been disregarded in the past.
Making token submissions that give legitimacy to an illegitimate process – for that is what we believe a submission without oral testimony is – does not constitute proper or appropriate representation in our democracy.
Further, we do not want to comment simply on the matter of the Bill before the committee, but to address fundamental and serious failings of the Family Justice system which are not covered by the Bill.
As the single largest group affected by decisions made in the family courts we ask that we receive proper representation by Fathers4Justice at this hearing.
To read the full 8 page letter regarding the denial of appropriate representation, CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK, FATHERS 4 JUSTICE LETTER TO JUSTICE COMMITTEE 21st NOVEMBER 2012
Campaign Director for Fathers4Justice Nadine O’Connor discusses the proposed government legislation in a debate with other groups.
“Campaign group Fathers 4 Justice is encouraging its supporters to stage a series of “occupy”-style protests at Asda supermarkets, starting with its flagship Wigan store, which is set to launch its “Christmas showcase” next week”
Fathers4Justice is encouraging its supporters to complain about the ad directly to the Advertising Standards Authority – which may have driven the sharp acceleration in official complaints, which currently stands at 160, from just 24 on Tuesday. The campaign group is also preparing to stage sit-in protests at Asda stores next week to raise the profile of their quest to get the ad off the air